Friday, March 19, 2010

32 Bars?!

"Please sing 16 to 32 bars of a song."

Um...okay.  How am I supposed to pick the perfect song to show off my voice, when I only have 16 to 32 bars to do so?  I mean, seriously...  My sister said to pick one that shows off my voice the best.  My question:  "Which voice?"  Another pitfall of being a mezzo.  And being healthy at the moment.  I have my low range and my high range right now.  Do I want to show off my high operatic or my low belt?  What about my rich middle range?  Can I find a song that, within 32 bars, shows off both?!  And doesn't hover too much around my break?

This is a VERY IMPORTANT audition, because it's season auditions for a theatre that is looking at changing a philosophy about a few things.  My audition songs for the show I plan on doing this summer (with another company) are set, but this other audition is freaking me out!  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SING!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. As a voice instructor and professional performer, this is what I have found works best: Select a song that represents the style(s) of the show(s) that you want to be cast in for this company's season. So, if they are doing shows that are more classical in nature, show off that legit sound. If they are doing musical theatre, show off your lower belt. I know there are songs out there that will give you a strong low end and at least one or two nice high notes. I also like to come with a second selection in case they want to hear more. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete